Are you struggling with excess body fat? Is your gut finally at the point that you can’t stand it anymore? In this article I want to share with you one reason you are struggling with this excess weight and gut. I’m going to share how you can overcome and reverse insulin resistance.
What is Insulin Resistance?
If you haven’t heard the term “insulin resistance” you will. It is important that you understand what it is, its causes, and how to reverse it. Insulin resistance is the precursor to diabetes and one of the leading causes of obesity. Most likely you are suffering from insulin resistance to some level or another. It is why you are overweight and struggling to lose weight.
Role of Insulin
Let’s begin with an explanation of insulin and its role in your body. Insulin is a hormone released by the pancreas to regulate glucose in your blood by transporting it to the cells. When you eat carbohydrates, the sugars are turned into glucose within your body. The pancreas then releases insulin to regulate that glucose in your bloodstream.
Causes of Insulin Resistance
Insulin resistance occurs when this glucose isn’t allowed into the cells. The pancreas becomes overworked and the body essentially becomes immune to the work of insulin. This causes the excess glucose to be stored as fat within the body because it is not able to enter the cells. Insulin resistance is primarily a problem of too much carbohydrates!
Reversing Insulin Resistance
Reversing insulin resistance can be a long process but it doesn’t have to be difficult. It is critical to your overall health. Remember, insulin resistance is the leading cause of diabetes. No matter the current state of your health, you are likely dealing with some level of insulin resistance.
To reverse insulin resistance is a change of diet mostly. You need to reduce your carbohydrate intake and increase in nutrient-dense foods. While changing your diet can result in immediate benefits, reversing insulin resistance may take some time. Depending on the damage and level of insulin resistance in your body, it could take months to reverse completely. Stick with it, the change is well worth it!
5 Steps to Reverse Insulin Resistance
- Reduce carbohydrates. You need to eliminate the foods are causing the high blood sugars in your body. Stick to leafy greens and colorful vegetables as your carbs. For a while, stay away from fruits and root vegetables.
- Eliminate sugar. Obviously if we are trying to reduce blood sugar, we should eliminate sugar from our diet. The problem with carbs is that they turn to sugar in the body. Sugar is going into the body as sugar. Stay away from it. Learn to read labels and spot the added sugar to foods.
- Eliminate grains. Grains, including wheat, immediately turns to sugar in the body. Some believe grains to be worse than sugar in the insulin response that is caused in the body.
- Increase fat. Fat doesn’t cause an insulin response. Plus, the best way to reverse insulin resistance is to change your body’s fuel system. Eliminating carbs and increasing fat results in the body’s fuel system changing from sugar to fat.
- Intermittent fast. When you fast, you reduce insulin responses in your body and give your pancrease a break. The body only responds with insulin when you consume food. So when you don’t eat for a longer stretch of time, you are reducing the insulin response. This has another benefit of burning more fat!
Insulin resistance is making you fat and is dangerous to your body. It is a condition that you need to reverse if you want to be healthy and lose weight. It isn’t as difficult as you may think, though it could take some time. Follow these simple tips and you can reverse insulin resistance and its effects on your body.
If you need a more personalized approach, let me help. I want to see you get healthy, lose weight, and reverse the insulin resistance in your body. Contact me about coaching options to help you be the best and healthiest you possible!
Have you noticed the effects of insulin resistance?